- Vitamin D supplementation could prevent and treat influenza, CORONAVIRUS, and pneumonia infections - March 2020
- Pneumonia 6X more likely if very low vitamin D – meta-analysis Sept 2019
- Pneumonia patients 3 X more likely to die if low vitamin D – meta-analysis Sept 2017
- Pneumonia acquired in hospital – 3X more likely to die if low vitamin D – June 2015
- Ventilator-associated pneumonia death rate cut in half by Vitamin D injection (300,000 IU) – RCT July 2017
- Any supplementation with vitamin D reduced chance of pneumonia by 50 percent – Oct 2013
- Search Vitamin D Life for community pneumonia 458 items as of July 2018
- All items in Breathing and vitamin D category
- ICU patients with pneumonia stay 7 days longer if low vitamin D - Dec 2011
- Vitamin C sometimes reduces mechanical ventilation duration – meta-analysis Feb 2020 Vitamin C
- Pneumonia in seniors was 2.5X more likely if low vitamin D – June 2014
- Pneumonia 2.6X more likely if low vitamin D – April 2013
- Much higher hospital costs (ICU and pneumonia) if low vitamin D – Dec 2015
Graph shows a 40% chance of wheezing at age 80 if have less than 10 nanograms of vitamin D
Children and Pneumonia
- Children with pneumonia in Ethiopia were 22X more likely to have rickets – 1997
- Pneumonia in Egyptian Children 3.6 X more likely if poor Vitamin D Receptor – Aug 2018
- Respiratory infections cut in half by 20,000 IU weekly vitamin D if initially deficient – RCT March 2015
- Recurrence of child pneumonia delayed by 100000 IU of vitamin D – RCT Oct 2010
- Effect of Adjunctive Single High-Dose Vitamin D 3 on Outcome of Community-Acquired Pneumonia in Hospitalised Adults: The VIDCAPS Randomised Controlled Trial - Sept 2018  Download the RCT PDF from Vitamin D Life
- 17X more likely for Pneumonia to go away in those starting with <10 ng and getting a single dose of 200,000 IU of Vitamin D
- Note: Not statistically significant
- The Association Between Vitamin D Deficiency and Community-Acquired Pneumonia: A Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies - Sept 2019
- 1.6X more likely if < 20 ng of Vitamin D  Download the Meta-Analysis from Vitamin D Life
- Effect of Vitamin D Supplementation in the Prevention of Recurrent Pneumonia in Under-Five Children - Dec 2019,DOI: 10.1007/s12098-019-03025-z
- 300,000 IU given quarterly No such attachment on this page
- Vitamin D Supplementation for Treatment and Prevention of Pneumonia in Under-five Children: A Randomized Double-blind Placebo Controlled Trial - Aug 2016  Download the RCT PDF from Vitamin D Life
- 100,000 IU temporaily raised vitamin D levels by an average of 30 ng, not much benefit (needed much larger dose)
- Vitamin D Council Pneumonia summary for patients - May 2014
"Pneumonia affects approximately 450 million people globally (7% of the population) and results in about 4 million deaths per year"
"Pneumonia often shortens suffering among those already close to death and has thus been called "the old man's friend"."
"Pneumonia is due to infections caused primarily by bacteria or viruses and less commonly by fungi and parasites."
"Conditions and risk factors that predispose to pneumonia include
- smoking, immunodeficiency, alcoholism, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, chronic kidney disease, and liver disease."
- Note by Vitamin D Life - every one of those risk factors is also associated with low vitamin D levels
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community-acquired_pneumonia much less likely to be due to a superbug
- Sunshine, rainfall, humidity and child pneumonia in the tropics: time-series analyses June 2013
"Lack of sunshine was most strongly associated with pneumonia in both lagged regression. . . and case-crossover analysis"
"This association is well known in temperate settings but has not been noted previously in the tropics"
- Search Google for heliotherapy pneumonia 31,000 items
sun therapy for pneumonia, TB, etc. was common before the invention of antibiotics
- Be in the Know About Pneumonia Mercola June 2016?
"These rates resulted in pneumonia being addressed as the eighth leading cause of death in the U.S., tied with influenza."
". . .it’s one of the two main causes of hospitalization, apart from childbirth."
Vitamin D, Innate Immunity and Outcomes in Community Acquired Pneumonia
1. Leong Leow1, 2. Talia Simpson3, 3. Ray Cursons3, 4. Noel Karalus1, 5. Robert J Hancox1,2,*
© 2011 The Authors. Respirology © 2011 Asian Pacific Society of Respirology, Respirology
Background and objective Vitamin D regulates the production of the antimicrobial peptides cathelicidin and beta defensin-2, which play an important role in the innate immune response to infection. We hypothesised that vitamin D deficiency would be associated with lower levels of these peptides and worse outcomes in patients admitted to hospital with community-acquired pneumonia.
Methods Associations between mortality and serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D, cathelicidin, and beta defensin-2 were investigated in a prospective cohort of 112 patients admitted with community-acquired pneumonia during winter.
Results Severe 25-hydroxyvitamin D deficiency (<30nmol/L) was common in this population (15%) and was associated with a higher 30-day mortality compared to patients with sufficient 25-hydroxyvitamin D(>50nmol/L) (OR 12.7, 95%CI 2.2-73.3, p = 0.004).
These associations were not explained by differences in age, co-morbidities, or the severity of the acute illness.
Neither cathelicidin nor beta defensin-2 levels predicted mortality, although there was a trend towards increased mortality with lower cathelicidin (p = 0.09).
Neither cathelicidin nor beta defensin-2 levels correlated with 25-hydroxyvitamin D.
Conclusions 25-hydroxyvitamin D deficiency is associated with increased mortality in patients admitted to hospital with community-acquired pneumonia during winter.
Contrary to our hypothesis, 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels were not associated with levels of cathelicidin or beta defensin-2.
There have actually been
41012 visitors to this page since it was originally madePneumonia Risk, intensity, and mortality all associated with low vitamin D 5895 visitors, last modified 01 Apr, 2020,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 13532 Pneumonia 300,000 IU.pdf admin 24 Feb, 2020 17:31 143.25 Kb 183 13436 Pathogens-causing-pneumonia_180607_04.jpg admin 03 Feb, 2020 11:32 1,015.72 Kb 1283 13420 Pneumonia RCT 100,000.pdf admin 30 Jan, 2020 03:24 589.46 Kb 256 13419 VIDCAPS RCT.pdf PDF 2019 admin 30 Jan, 2020 02:41 1.05 Mb 324 13418 Pneunomia meta 2019.pdf PDF 2019 admin 30 Jan, 2020 02:26 773.80 Kb 267 10908 Vitamin D, Innate Immunity and Outcomes in Community Acquired Pneumonia.pdf admin 26 Nov, 2018 02:32 296.43 Kb 554